Village Hall Clean Up – Help needed

Help needed for a clean up at the Village Hall before the BBQ in August (don’t let the picture put you off).

We will be cleaning on the following dates starting at 10 am on all dates:

Saturday 8th July & Sunday 9th July

Saturday 15th July & Sunday 16th July

Saturday 22nd July & Sunday 23rd July

Please contact Barbara Wilson telephone 788327 if you can give a hand.

It will be much appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation

Andrew Christy

Andrew and Jackie Christy

Andrew died on the 23rd May 2017 following a short period in hospital. His wife, Jackie, and his children, Eddie and Charlene, were with him.

The funeral will take place at Chelmsford Crematorium some time in June (date to be announced) followed by a memorial meeting  at the Friends Meeting House in Maldon and a wake at Goldhanger Village Hall. All people who knew Andrew are welcome.

Andrew was a keen bird watcher and loved being out in the open countryside with his binoculars. He was much-loved and well-respected in the village and was known for his gentle, kind-hearted manner.

reed warbler imageIt seems ornithology ran in the family; an ancestor of Andrew’s, Miller Christy, was also a keen ornithologist as well as being a Quaker

Andrew played a part in the running of the Village Hall for some years and was also Clerk for Tolleshunt D’Arcy Parish Council. Andrew retired from the latter role only last year.

 

Community Defibrillator Seminar Monday 3rd of July

Monday 3rd of July, 7pm at the Village Hall

The Community Heartbeat Trust will be demonstrating the use of defibrillators and explaining how the equipment works and its benefits to the community in saving precious minutes in the treatment of sudden cardiac arrest.

The more people that know how to use the portable defibrillator installed in our community, the more chance there is of saving the life of a victim of Sudden Cardiac Arrest

Everybody is welcome, and no special skills are required, just your willingness to play an important role in the event of a medical emergency.

Sales of the Goldhanger in the Past book

From David Newman:

Sales of the book have gone really well, we have sold 170 copies and taken orders for another 30. As anticipated I was able to place a large order with the printers in early December which reduced the printing cost considerably and maximised the surplus to pass onto the Church and the Village Hall.

Orders still seem to be coming in, but it is now timely to report that we have been able to send cheques for £450 each to the Treasurer of St. Peter’s PCC and to the Treasurer of the Village Hall committee. We requested that the Church uses the funds for a local project such as the proposed sound system or heating project and that the Village Hall uses the funds for their planned VH improvements project.

The Maldon Tourist Information Centre has now offered to stock the book at their High St office, so it looks likely sales will continue.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped to make the project a success.

Extension to Village Hall

News from the Village Hall

“Your Village Hall”

We shall be presenting the project at the AGM on Wednesday 23 November (please see separate notice in this edition) – everyone is welcome and we’re very keen to hear the views of the whole community. If you are unable to get along, please let us know what you think of our design  by email to chrisandjilljoslin@gmail.com or by phone on 788578 or if you’d like to write a note address it to  Bird in Hand, 15, Fish Street.

In the July edition of the Parish Mag we reported on the results of the village questionnaire  and the initial work that is underway in order to bring  the  village’s requirements to fruition. In this edition we are publishing our concept Architect’s  response which is shown at the bottom of this page.

Our concept Architect, Geoffrey Vale, who knows the village well, has set out to provide the much needed improved toilets and disabled facilities including enlarged  entrance foyer ( the existing door mat area is hopelessly inadequate ! ), cloakroom facilities and external appearance emphasised in the questionnaire results.

The Management Committee, having considered various options, is fully supportive of these proposals but now wishes to hear the views of the village, both supportive and critical. It is important that we reach out to the widest community to ensure that this project delivers facilities which improve access to and within our Village Hall not only for existing users but for the whole community particularly for those who are unable to use it currently.

Meanwhile the Committee will get down to the really serious issue of funding this community project. This is no mean task and for the majority of funds we shall be seeking grants but village support of our fund raising events will be most welcome and essential.

If you would like to be part of a support fund raising group and / or can offer grant bid skills then just let us know – we’d love to hear from you.

We’ll keep you informed as we progress with this exciting project. Please continue to support village activities in the Hall including events which will be advertised in the Parish Mag and on village noticeboards but just so you know it’s the  Great Goldhanger Quiz on 29 October  and Bingo on 03 December– more information elsewhere in this edition .

Chris Joslin

Chairman, Management Committee

screen-shot-2016-11-19-at-20-51-22

screen-shot-2016-11-19-at-20-49-54

The Annual Village Assembly

The annual Village Assembly will be held on Tuesday 12th April 2016 at 8.00 pm following the Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council at 7 pm.

The Chair of the Council will give his Annual Report and residents may raise any issues concerning the village.

Members of the public and the press are welcome to attend.

News from the Village Hall – December 2015

Chairman’s Report at the AGM of the Village Hall Management Committee                     18 November 2015

I am very pleased to be able to give my report to this Annual General Meeting which reflects on a very busy and rewarding year. It has been a year in which we have continued to maintain and improve the hall and its surroundings made possible through general hire income and the generosity of the village through donations and its support of our own fund raising activities.

Our social and fund raising sub committee has had another busy and successful year. The Dad’s Army evening in April at the Village Hall suitably decorated inside and out, with entertainment by the “Bombshells”, was enjoyed by all with the “home guard “ showing up in force accompanied by land army girls, nurses and the never seen on television, Elizabeth Mainwaring. In October all manner of spooky characters joined in fun and games and dancing at the Halloween party in a transformed Hall.  Meanwhile bingo has continued on a quarterly basis and has been very well supported. Thus the committee has achieved two of its objectives – to raise funds for improvements to the Hall and to help towards enhancing the spirit of the community which we could not have achieved without the wonderful support and enthusiasm of the village.

We have been very fortunate again in receiving donations and I will take this opportunity of thanking the History Group for not only hiring the Hall but donating some of the proceeds from its entertaining evenings.

We continue to promote the Hall and its facilities for hire by the community and beyond. The Hall is provided and maintained for the benefit of the village and of course hire charges are our main source of revenue. Importantly, we have, by way of the Parish Mag asked the village what it wants and expects from the facilities of the Hall. A pleasing number of completed questionnaires were received giving the committee most helpful guidance which we will be discussing later tonight and which we will be considering and acting upon in due course.

On the subject of maintenance, the property sub committee has had yet another busy year. Working closely with the Parish Council and in particular Mick Sargeant who worked and supported us throughout, we have installed new land drainage and resurfaced the car park. Much needed high level remedial work to the building has been completed; my thanks to Mike Webster for making a new high level louvre panel for us; external redecoration has been undertaken and my sincere thanks to all those villagers who helped, not only those who applied masonry paint to walls and quite a bit to themselves but to those who cleared and tidied the grounds. Also we have erected a new shed which houses the old plastic chairs which are available for use by the village – do speak to any committee member or caretaker Andrew Christy if you would like to borrow them.

A big thank you to Malcolm Kemp for mowing the grass in the Village Hall field throughout the season, to Keith Wilson and Mike Hood for looking after the electrical side of things, to Martin Seabrook for keeping an eye on our web site and to Andrew Christy our caretaker and bookings clerk.

We must also thank our auditor, Phil Bendall, who has worked with the treasurer for many years but who has decided that he will now stand down.

On the broader side of management and so that we can move forward on a sound basis, we have been working towards amending our constitution of 1936 such that it reflects the social structure of Goldhanger today and is fit for purpose in 2015 and some years to come. This is not quite as simple as it sounds and our particular thanks go to Sue Shepherd from the Rural Community Council of Essex who has been our guide and mentor throughout.

Turning to the management committee itself, tonight there are three long standing members standing down – Julie Cook who has given a great deal of enthusiasm and energy particularly on the social and fund raising committee, Martin Chellingsworth who has kept us in order when it comes to the all important health and safety side of things and last but by no means least Martin Gebel who has been our treasurer managing our financial affairs for so long that even he’s not sure how long it is but it’s about ten years. But also tonight we welcome Jill Crooks and Anton Jermy who have been working with the committee for most of this year. We also welcome members appointed by our constituent bodies  – Kim Evans (PCC), Sandra Smith (WI),  Steve Ellis ( Parish Council) and Clive Cheeseman (Friendly Brothers).

And now to the forthcoming year. Responding to the comments made in the questionnaire we now have early design ideas to extend the building to provide modern toilet facilities with improved disabled access incorporating a much needed entrance foyer designed to improve the function of the Hall and to make it more appealing. In conjunction with these works we intend to re roof the whole of the building.

This is a major project and one which will take some time to achieve. Initially we will be seeking funding and we are under no illusions that this will be easy but we believe that with the guidance of Sue Shepherd from RCCE our aim is achievable. In parallel we will be developing the design, seeking estimates of cost and obtaining approvals. We will keep the village informed of progress

The social and fund raising committee is already planning an event to mark the Queen’s ninetieth birthday in April next year in true Goldhanger style. Bingo will continue into the Spring. All our events will be publicised in the Parish Magazine, on our web site and on village notice boards well in advance.

My renewed thanks to the Committee – to Debbie, the two Martins, Kaye, Barbara, Helen, Julie, Steve, Andrew and Catherine and also to Jill and Anton  for their energy and enthusiasm and also my thanks to the village for its support.

Chris Joslin, Chairman

News from the Village Hall – Jan 2015

Goldhanger Village Hall

Chairman’s Report at the AGM of the Village Hall Management Committee 19 November 2014

Reflecting on the past year, I am reminded that the objective of the Village Hall Management Committee is to maintain the Hall for the benefit and use of the village community. This entails ensuring that we have sufficient funds and undertaking necessary work to keep the Hall fit for purpose.

Our treasurer will tell us that our income from the hire of the Hall, from donations and from our various fund raising events together with prudent financial management has placed us in a reasonably satisfactory financial position. This is very different from the position we found ourselves in just a few years back when the financial outlook looked bleak. This improvement is due to a number of things. First, the increased level of hire of the Hall has been maintained although we still need to encourage greater use. Second, the continued support and generosity of the village at our fund raising events which this year have included our Theme Night based on “Film and Theatre”, our May Ball and our Bingo nights. Thirdly, generous donations. I must take this opportunity to thank the History Group for not only hiring the Hall on occasions but also donating a part of the profit to us, and I must thank Julie Chellingsworth and Patsy Holdsworth for donating all the profit from their stall at the Gala weekend.

On the subject of thank you’s, I must thank Phil Bendall, our auditor, for ensuring that our books are in order so that we can make our annual submission to the Charity Commission.

Turning to property matters, day to day maintenance of the Hall has not been without its problems. The theft of our mower early in the year was a blow and one of the wettest winters on record tested the car park to the point of making it unusable ! But repairs and re- rendering to the rear elevation and fencing to form a robust compound bringing added security have been completed satisfactorily. My thanks to Michael Hood and Keith Wilson for again looking after the electrical side of things, to Malcolm Kemp for continuing to maintain the village hall field and to Martin Seabrook for maintaining our web site: www.goldhangervillagehall.co.uk which gives all the information necessary for potential hirers including booking forms, rates, conditions and a diary showing availability. Thanks also to Andrew Christy, our caretaker and bookings clerk.

As for the Committee, during the year Jules Owers stepped down – thank you Jules for your dedication and energy. And we were delighted that we were able to co-opt and warmly welcome Catherine Brown. Tonight, Barry Keusch steps down having been a member for over ten years providing enthusiasm and wise counsel as well as starring in several village hall productions. Also tonight, Kaye Shrubb steps down from her role as Secretary (but not from the Committee) a role which she has undertaken faithfully and thoroughly for thirteen years. Thank you, both of you, most sincerely.

And now to the forthcoming year. I have mentioned that our funding situation is reasonably satisfactory although there is no room for complacency. We must now turn our thoughts to the property itself and in particular to re-roofing the Hall and improving the car park while maintaining a fully functioning facility. This will require substantial committee input in regard to funding, design etc and one of the first tasks of the new committee will be to consider the way in which it can structure and reinforce itself with additional members with the appropriate skills so that these projects can move forward to a satisfactory conclusion.

In parallel, the social and fund raising sub committee is planning another Theme Night and Bingo will continue through into the Spring. All our events will be publicised in the Parish Magazine, on our web site and on village notice boards well in advance as will any plans for improving the Hall.

My renewed thanks to the Committee – to Debbie, the two Martins, Kaye, Barry, Barbara, Helen, Julie, Vicki, Andrew and Catherine for their energy and enthusiasm and also my thanks to the village for its support.

Chris Joslin, Chairman